The rise of a monk in the corridors of power is not new in politics but Yogi Adityanath rise is exceptional compared to others. His upsurge is not built on religious identity but on the work, he did over the years for people. The support for him in all communities is special and probably the only politician whose popularity graph has witnessed an upward trend in last five years despite the challenges posed by pandemic. His popularity among electorate is evident from the fact that he is the most looked leader across India besides PM Narendra Modi for campaigning.
The journey of Yogi Adityanath becoming a household name across India has put this election very important for him and many, the stake is not CM chair of Uttar Pradesh (UP), but the next poster boy of BJP post retirement of PM Narendra Modi.
This brings to my next point, what Yogi accomplished in last five years? In modest words, he made everything possible which were tagged impossible from many decades in UP by other politicians. Here are some key points which facilitated his rise to the power corridors and helped electorate of Uttar Pradesh trusting him as their leader for life
- Infrastructure- Do you know that UP has outpaced every other Indian state in Infrastructure development in last five years. Multiple Expressways, Highways, roads, Hospitals (AIIMS), projects, Airports, Film City, the push by Yogi Adityanath government has been enormous and that helped UP to become investors favorite destination. Villages are getting more than 18 to 20 hours of electricity is an extraordinary achievement of Yogi Adityanath Government. If you have not visited UP in last five years, it’s likely that you will not be able to connect to the place in your next visit. Successful implementation of central government projects like Ujjawala Yojna, Toilets, Houses has helped villages of UP to have life a better life. Learning from the pandemic, UP government has set a vision to have medical college in each 75 district and seven are already approved and are under construction. Here is the thing, the day is not far when UP will be the biggest supplier of doctors across the country.
2. Law and Order– Historically, UP has been branded as lawless states. Almost every government prior to Yogi failed to restore the law and order in the state. Do you know, on his first day in office, he made it clear that there will be no place of mafiaraj in UP and Soon mafia’s find difficult to hide and many ran away to take shelters in other state. UP police are often blamed for extra judicial killing in the encounters, but everyone agrees that those killed in the encounters are criminals. Due to this massive crackdown on criminals, UP become a much safer place for everyone. There is still a long way to go but the beginning is commendable, and we can soon expect mafia free UP.
3. Ease of doing business– This one is a huge achievement of Yogi Adityanath government. UP is no longer consider as BIMARU State. This brings to me on my next point, now UP rank higher than many developed states like Maharashtra in ease of doing business. Government employees are found in the offices and no file can stay more than 3 days at a place. Projects are green lighted through single window system. UP received record investment in last five years. Companies who were eyeing India after exiting China preferred UP over other state for setting up their factories. Few of them are already up and running. He launched One District One product helped to revive the age-old handicrafts industries in various districts of UP.
4. Crisis management– When virus originated in Wuhan hit India, many were concerned about UP and like great leaders Yogi turned crisis into opportunity. Now, UP handling of Covid pandemic has been included as case studies in leading institutes. From arranging buses in the midnight to ensure safely return of student studying in Kota to UP or arranging food for the poor or transferring money directly to the poor’s bank account or providing shelter and food to migrants, His government never shied away from responsibility. His handling of covid crisis was appreciated across the world. Australian parliamentarian Craig Kelly quoted that they need Yogi to handle covid crisis in Australia.
5. Communal harmony- We discussed law and order situation prior to Yogi government’s, it brings me to my next point. It’s impossible to remember tenure of any UP government where riots had not taken place but UP reported no major riots in last five years. This unique feat speaks highly of Yogi administrative skills and inclusive leadership. It’s also important to note here that not a single unpleasant incident reported on the judgement of after Ram Jam Bhoomi dispute by Supreme court. Many in the past avoided this judgement on the pretext that it will lead to communal riots. In fact, his handling of CAA protest and attempted riots is well appreciated.
6. Woman empowerment- Do you know who are the biggest supporters of Yogi Adityanath? While many believes its Hindus, Thakurs or may be backward castes but its woman community who helped Yogi to upsurge in the popularity charts. It’s because of woman voters Yogi is miles ahead of other competitors. Yogi is one rare politician in modern India who empowered woman while others wrongly keep believing that only quota could uplift woman in the society. His stand on Triple talaq found resonance with Muslim woman and finally triple talaq bill was passed in the parliament providing relief to Muslim woman. Through Ujwala Yojana and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, he provided subsidized LPG cylinder to poor families and built toilets in most of the villager houses. This brings me to my next point, toilets and Gas stove gave freedom to poor woman from embarrassment and tough way of cooking that normally left them with burn injuries. Improvement in Law & Order allowed woman to freely move across UP. Yes, there are more work to be done for woman safety but for the first-time woman are seeing progress and huge improvement in their safety.
7. Making UP a tourism hub– Do you know- UP is a state that is blessed with places of great religious importance and monuments. Just to name few- Kashi Vishwanth in Varanasi, Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura, Lord Ram birthplace in Ayodhya, Gorakhnath temple in Gorakhpur, Sarnath, Taj Mahal in Agra or Imambara in Lucknow. Very few Indian state has so much to showcase to the external world, but tourism never took off in UP because of infrastructure and Law & Order situation. In last five years, Yogi extensively worked to develop tourism in UP. Improving infrastructure (UP will have the maximum number of international airports in the country), Law & Order, and showcasing UP across the world has helped surge in tourism. Now lacs of people attend Ayodhya deepotsav on Diwali eve which was largely a deserted place before he came to power. Imagine the amount of revenue generated for the people of UP by tourism.
8. Ideology-Before I tell you, do you know politicians often compromise their ideology and some change completely for power, but Yogi Adityanath remained committed to his ideology after getting elected as CM of UP. You can love him, or you can hate him, but you will certainly like his work ethics, commitment to his ideology. He never tried to become a fake secularist like many in politics and I think that has hit the right cord for him with the voters.
9. Perception- People of Uttar Pradesh are often perceived as backwards despite India having maximum prime minster from UP. UP is perceived as laggard state over the years. The only value that UP adds to the nation is the political value because of maximum number of general assembly sheet. But now that perception has changed in last five years. UP is now among the top three economy of the country. During pandemic, migration, or any other crisis, he stood for people of UP. Do you know, people of UP sense pride watching Yogi representing them in national and global podiums. Here is the thing, The mindset of the electorate of Uttar Pradesh has changed in last five years especially migrants of the state. They feel proud to be associated with state of UP and for me that’s the biggest achievement of Yogi Adityanath government.
The vision is that nobody will be discriminated against or favoured. Everyone is equal. He stood by his philosophy and probably is the reason of his rise.
pic courtesy- BCCL, Google